Good morning, Dallas! Like many of you, the Patch staff will be taking some time off for the Thanksgiving holiday, so you won’t see a newsletter from me tomorrow. We’ll be back bright and early Saturday morning, but for now, here’s all the most important things happening in the community.
But first, today’s weather:
Rain at times. High: 59 Low: 51.
Here are the top three stories today in Dallas:
- Dallas’ Winspear Opera House will be performing “The Nutcracker” on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Friday’s performance will be offered at 8:00 p.m. Saturday’s performance is offered at 2:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. Sunday’s will be at 2:00 p.m. Ticket details can be fund here. (FOX 4 News Dallas-Fort Worth)
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the Dallas-Fort Worth area added 50,000 jobs in Oct. That increase is the biggest monthly increase since May. There have been 255,000 jobs added in the last year. The area currently has almost 4.19 million workers. You can view the full report here. (Subscription: The Dallas Morning News)
- Dallas County has quietly purchased land for affordable housing units. The county reports it plans to add 2,000 affordable housing units to the county’s housing supply by 2026. The county has designated $173 million for the project. Eight sites have been approved. The full list of sites is available at the link. (Subscription: The Dallas Morning News)
Today in Dallas:
- BFA Thesis Exhibition At Moudy Gallery (All Day)
- 55th Annual Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot At Dallas City Hall (8:30 AM)
From my notebook:
- Tomorrow is Black Friday. Here is a list of store and shop opening times in the Dallas-Fort Worth area for tomorrow. (Subscription: The Dallas Morning News)
- The Dallas Zoo will be hosting an Adult-Only Night at Dallas Zoo Lights on Tuesday, Nov. 29. The event will feature holiday-themed adult beverages. Click here for ticket details. (Dallas Zoo via Facebook)
- Are you growing increasingly frustrated with online home listings and are seeking an alternative? Consider this list of upcoming in-person open houses occurring in the Dallas area this weekend. Click the link for the full list that includes times, dates, property dimensions, prices, and photos. (Dallas Patch)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
That’s all for today! Have a happy Thanksgiving!
— Nicole Fallon-Peek
About me: Nicole Fallon-Peek is a journalist and copywriter with a degree in Media, Culture and Communication from New York University. She has served as a freelance reporter, managing editor, copy editor, and editorial director for a variety of B2B news outlets. She currently co-owns and operates content creation agency Lightning Media Partners.