Welcome back, Dallas! I’m here in your inbox today to get you up to speed on everything you need to know about what’s going on in town.
But first, today’s weather:
Occasional morning rain. High: 44 Low: 41.
Here are the top three stories today in Dallas:
- The City of Dallas has purchased an apartment complex in North Dallas that will be turned into affordable housing. The 322-unit Briscoe apartments near LBJ Freeway and Central Express will have half of its units transition to restricted rent levels. The affordable housing will be capped at rent levels for people making less than 80% of the area’s median income in Dallas. The purchase was made partly in response to soaring rental prices. (Denton Record Chronicle)
- Dallas Animal Services and Adoption Center is still struggling to get some of its larger residents adopted. The shelter has been struggling to find foster and permanent homes for medium to large dogs. To promote adopting and fostering these larger pooches, the shelter is offering people who decide to support these sweet dogs a $150 gift card. The offer applies to dogs that have been exposed to a respiratory infection, but may not be sick or even infected. (Dallas Animal Services and Adoption Center via Facebook)
- The North Texas Food Bank has announced the times and locations for upcoming food donations. Food is distributed on a first-come, first serve basis for those struggling with food insecurity. Those who lack a vehicle or the means to attend the food bank events themselves can find additional assistance as well. Events will be held on Dec. 20 and Dec. 21. (North Texas Food Bank via Instagram)
Today in Dallas:
- The Trains at NorthPark Center (10:00 AM)
- The Immersive Nutcracker at Lighthouse Dallas (1:30 PM)
- Industry Night at Roy G’s (3:00 PM)
- Monkey Bar Monday: December Happy Hour at Monkey Bar (5:00 PM)
- Dallas Sightseeing Walking Tour at Main Street (7:30 PM)
From my notebook:
- The SPCA of Texas wants you to meet Murray! This is one of the sweetest and cuddliest senior dogs ever, and he’s looking for his forever home – is it with you? (SPCA of Texas via Instagram)
- The Dallas Public Library has some last-minute literary gift ideas that will thrill anyone left on your shopping list! (Dallas Public Library via Facebook)
- Exall Recreation Center and Family Gateway have teamed up for a virtual coat drive! Just scan the QR code, browse the site, and the coats you choose will be sent directly to Family Gateway. (Dallas Park and Recreation Department via Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Now you’re in the loop and ready to start this Monday off right! See you all tomorrow for your next update.
— Nicole Fallon-Peek
About me: Nicole Fallon-Peek is a journalist and copywriter with a degree in Media, Culture and Communication from New York University. She has served as a freelance reporter, managing editor, copy editor, and editorial director for a variety of B2B news outlets. She currently co-owns and operates content creation agency Lightning Media Partners.