Welcome back, Dallas! It’s Thursday, so let’s get you started with everything you need to know going on today in town.
First, today’s weather:
Plenty of sunshine. High: 70 Low: 48.
Here are the top stories today in Dallas:
- Public information used by news outlets to report breaking news and neighborhood groups to monitor crime will soon be harder to access in Dallas. Names are being redacted from public reports, and there are plans to delay real-time information about active crimes in the city. The proposed changes mean anyone looking for this information a police report would have to file an open records request — something that could take weeks to fulfill. (FOX 4 Dallas)
- The city of Dallas and Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) officials are hoping to develop some of the empty parking lots around DART stations. On Wednesday, the Dallas City Council on Wednesday agreed to a deal with DART that would allow the city to market six rail station-adjacent sites to developers. DART’s board of directors will vote on the same memo next week. (D Magazine)
- A man was found, badly injured, in a bullet-riddled car after leaving a northwest Dallas nightclub. (FOX 4 Dallas)
- Fans of the Cowboys and Christmas, take note: The Dallas Cowboys will host the Fifth Annual Christmas at the Star from Nov. 19 through Dec. 24. (CW33 NewsFix)
- The Assist the Officer Foundation of South Dallas held a fundraiser yesterday to benefit the Dallas firefighters injured in the Highland Hills apartment complex explosion. (CBS Dallas / Fort Worth)
Today’s Dallas Daily is brought to you by Newrez, a leading nationwide mortgage lender. Planning to buy or refinance a home? Here’s what you need to know about the five types of mortgage loans (and which one is right for you). Make a smart move for your future and refinance with Newrez. Call 844-979-1707 to connect with a Newrez loan officer. Newrez, LLC (NMLS #3013)
Today in Dallas:
- Senior Services Alliance Meeting – Rockwall Area Chamber of Commerce (9:00 AM)
- Art Cart: Veterans Day Crafts – Grapevine Public Library – Children’s Programs (10:00 AM)
- The FRIENDS Experience (12:00 PM)
- Meadows Jazz Orchestra Fall Brown Bag Concert (12:30 PM)
- Speak English with Confidence Workshop Series: Job Interview Strategies and Language (3:30 PM)
- Lego Mania – Farmers Branch Manske Public Library (4:00 PM)
- Taste of the Town 2021 – Burleson – Burleson Area Chamber-Commerce (4:00 PM)
- Theatre: One-Act Public Performance (4:30 PM)
- After-School Hangout for Teens: CD Scratch Art (4:30 PM)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Now you’re in the loop and ready to head out the door on this Thursday! See you all tomorrow morning for your next update. If you’re enjoying these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to follow along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Nicole Fallon-Peek
About me: Nicole Fallon-Peek is a journalist and copywriter with a degree in Media, Culture and Communication from New York University. She has served as a freelance reporter, managing editor, copy editor, and editorial director for a variety of B2B news outlets. She currently co-owns and operates content creation agency Lightning Media Partners.