Good morning, Dallas! Let’s get you all caught up to start this day off on an informed note. Here are the most important things going on around Dallas today.
First, today’s weather:
Mostly sunny and breezy. High: 77 Low: 51.
Here are the top stories in Dallas today:
- Prism Health North Texas, a Dallas-based nonprofit, has been helping former prisoners readjust as they transition back into the free world. Over the past 20 years, the organization has provided newly-freed convicts with HIV prevention and treatment services as well as medical care. These services are provided through a program called Free World Bound, which has expanded statewide to over 30 prisons. (Dallas Observer)
- A Dallas man has been sentenced to more than 23 years in federal prison for committing violent crimes against Grindr users. 22-year-old Daniel Jenkins is the last of four defendants to be sentenced in this case. According to court documents, Jenkins admitted that he conspired to target nine Dallas area men for violent crimes, including kidnapping, carjacking, and hate crimes, because of his perception of the victims’ sexual orientation. (NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth)
- Dallas Animal Services has launched its Texas Big Dog Campaign to find urgently-needed homes for larger dogs. (FOX 4 Dallas)
- A Dallas police officer has been suspended for 45 days after shooting at an unarmed man. (NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth)
- From the end of the State Fair of Texas to big-name concerts and art exhibitions, here’s what to do in Dallas this weekend. (CultureMap Dallas)
Today’s Dallas Daily is brought to you by Verizon, a Patch Brand Partner. Learn more about online gaming relationships and how they’ve helped some children through the pandemic.
Today in Dallas:
- Better Block Foundation Creates The Park at Forest-Audelia – Volunteers Needed (8:00 AM)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
You’re all caught up for today. I’ll catch up with you bright and early tomorrow with another update! If you’re enjoying these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to follow along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Nicole Fallon-Peek
About me: Nicole Fallon-Peek is a journalist and copywriter with a degree in Media, Culture and Communication from New York University. She has served as a freelance reporter, managing editor, copy editor, and editorial director for a variety of B2B news outlets. She currently co-owns and operates content creation agency Lightning Media Partners.