July 23, 2021
It’s a crime that can be committed in just minutes, which is why when it comes to protecting your car from catalytic converter theft, law enforcement says there’s some things you should consider.
“The thieves are getting by faster than we can catch them,” said Jose Munoz, the assistant chief of the Dallas County Marshal Service. “Help us help you reduce these offenses.”
The North Texas Auto Theft Task Force sent out tips to help protect your converter such as:
- Parking your car in the garage or a lighted area near the entrance.
- Consider having your catalytic converter welded onto the car frame.
- Consider buying security features such as catalytic converter locks for your vehicle.
- Engrave your vehicles VIN number on the catalytic converter.
- Explore your car alarm capabilities
- Paint the converter a bright high-temperature paint.
CBS Local Digital Media personalizes the global reach of CBS-owned and operated television and radio stations with a local perspective.