Rise and Shine, Dallas! It’s Saturday, July 31.
In Today’s Headlines: We pay tribute to the late great bassist, Dusty Hill, who left ZZ Top and the rest of us behind in his passing Wednesday. What’s your go-to jam from these Texas blues legends?
And, in an effort to stem the rising tide of delta variant COVID-19 cases across the country (and especially in North Texas), President Biden hatched a plan to pay people $100 to get vaccinated. Not so fast, say Texas lawmakers.
Now here’s today’s weather: Humid throughout the day. High: 100, low: 81.
These are the top stories in DFW today:
- Dallas Mavericks: “It’s Friday. How we feelin’, MFFLs?” (Instagram)
- Dallas Cowboys: “When your birthday is in Oxnard, but the cake is in Dallas, your best friends ship it to you.” (Instagram)
- Dallas Zoo: “Our zoologists have chosen a name for Blessy’s cria, and it is absolutely adorable.” (Instagram)
- SPCA of Texas: “Ike and Mike are available for adoption and ready to make life ridiculously fun and chaotic!” (Instagram)
- Children’s Health: “Our patients Lottie and Davi are two peas in a pod. Born just a few months apart with heart defects.” (Instagram)
- Dallas Museum of Art: “I think the reclining figure gave me a chance, a kind of subject matter, to create new forms within it.” (Instagram)
- Dallas Farmers Market: “The best! #Repost @dallaseatmore – Dallas Farmers Market hidden gem @katipthaistreetfood.” (Instagram)
- The Dallas Arboretum: “August Dollar Days are back! Come enjoy the garden and see the final days of the ZimSculpt exhibit for a discount.” (Instagram)
- DBU Baseball: “As the Patriots start to hit their stride, the season comes to an abrupt halt.” (Instagram)
- Dallas Police Department: “#WatchYourCar crime prevention tips and giveaway. Comment for a chance to win. Winners will be chosen at random.” (Facebook)
- Dallas ISD: “Today is the last day to register for the Mayor’s Back to School Fair! Supplies are limited.” (Instagram)
- Dallas Animal Services and Adoption Center: “Learn more of our adoptable pets at bit.ly/d90pets.” (Facebook)
- Dallas Police Department: “The Dallas Police Department is asking for your help to identify these three individuals.” (Facebook)
- Dallas Area Rapid Transit (Official DART page): “DART is hosting a Bus and Rail Operators hiring event Aug. 3, 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the DART Ways.” (Facebook)
- DFW Airport: “DFW Airport is active in the fight against human trafficking.” (Facebook)
- North Texas Food Bank: “Support the North Texas Food Bank by purchasing an engraved paver for display in Jan’s Garden.” (Instagram)
- City of Dallas Office of Arts and Culture: “The African American Museum of Dallas in Fair Park, Texas is hosting a new interactive art and history exhibit.” (Facebook)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- The True Cost In Skipping A Home Inspection (July 31)
- Free Insta-Worthy 30 Min Photoshoots in North Dallas! (July 31)
Now you’re in the loop and ready to head out the door on this Saturday! I’ll see you back in your inbox tomorrow morning with another update. If you’re liking these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to read along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Kevin Phinney
About me: Kevin Phinney has lived and worked as a writer and editor in Austin, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Seattle and New York City. He was born in Brooklyn, New York and was raised in El Paso. Phinney attended college in Austin. He has done television work as a reporter and commentator, and is a former host of a weekday drive-time radio show called “Kevin & Kevin in the Morning” on KGSR-FM (now known as Austin City Limits Radio). He is also the author of “Souled American, ” a book tracking race relations in America through music. It was published by BILLBOARD Books, and is often used in college classrooms across the country.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Dallas Daily? Reach out anytime to firstname.lastname@example.org.