DA investigates death of NH father who died after incident during Patriots-Dolphins game at Gillette – Boston 25 News


FOXBORO, Mass. — Authorities are investigating the death of a New Hampshire father who died after an “incident” in the stands during Sunday night’s New England Patriots-Miami Dolphins game at Gillette Stadium.

The man suffered an “apparent medical event” in the stadium’s 308/309 section during the fourth quarter of the game around 11 p.m., according to Massachusetts State Police. He was rushed to Sturdy Memorial Hospital in Attleboro, where he was pronounced dead just before midnight.

The Norfolk District Attorney’s Office later identified the man as 53-year-old Dale Mooney, of Newmarket, New Hampshire.

Mooney’s wife, Lisa told Boston 25 News that her husband was a lifelong fan of the Patriots who had been a season-ticket holder for 30 years. She also described him as a “good dad” to their two adult sons.

Lisa Mooney says her husband traveled to Foxborough from their home and attended the Patriots-Dolphins game with friends. She says she was told that her husband was being taunted by several Dolphins fans during the game, leading up to an alleged physical altercation in the 300s section of the stadium.

Video sent to Boston 25 News shows stadium security moving in to break up an apparent scuffle before Mooney lost consciousness.

“It looked like people grabbing and pulling at each other at first at some point in the guy in the dolphins jersey punched the victim twice in the face and that’s when the victim fell into his seat unconsciousness,” said Joey Kilmartin a witness.

Kilmartin recorded the commotion happening four rows behind him and shared it with investigators right after it happened.

“The guy in the dolphins jersey got hauled away by police and that’s when everybody noticed something was wrong a minute or so later the guy still hadn’t made any movement it really didn’t look like he was breathing,” said Kilmartin.

Lisa says she believes footage captured at Gillette will prove that her husband did not throw a single punch.

Sources tell Boston 25 News that investigators are now waiting on the Medical Examiner’s findings to help determine if that confrontation played a role in Mooney’s death.

The DA’s office said there are no charges in place at this time.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW