Man accused in Dallas slaying of former OU football player on the lam before trial


A man accused of fatally shooting a former University of Oklahoma football player in downtown Dallas last year cut off his ankle monitor and has been on the lam for more than two months, according to court records obtained by The Dallas Morning News.

An arrest warrant was issued for 23-year-old Antwan Franklin after he removed the court-ordered monitor June 27, records show. The Dallas County Sheriff’s Department confirmed the warrant was active Thursday.

It was unclear if Franklin has an attorney. His trial, originally scheduled for next week, has been delayed as authorities search for him. The trial will be rescheduled once Franklin is in custody.

Franklin’s bail was set at $250,000. He posted bond about a month after his July 2022 arrest and was required to wear the monitor, according to court records. His bail will be set at $1 million after he is found, records show.

Antwan Franklin is one of three people arrested on capital murder charges in the death of 25-year-old Du’Vonta Lampkin. (Dallas County Sheriff’s Office)

Franklin was one of three people arrested on capital murder charges in the death of 25-year-old Du’Vonta Lampkin. The other two suspects are John Williams, 32, and Erick Garcia, 25.

About 10 p.m. on May 5, 2022, officers were dispatched to an apartment in the 500 block of South Ervay Street, where they found Lampkin dead from a gunshot wound to the chest.

Crime in The News

Read the crime and public safety news your neighbors are talking about.

Police have previously said the apartment was an Airbnb rental Lampkin was staying in while waiting to move into a new one. He was due to check out the day after the slaying.

According to an arrest-warrant affidavit, Franklin and Lampkin were seen on surveillance footage in front of the apartment about 1:40 a.m. Fifteen minutes later, Franklin appeared to wave to Garcia and another person to “move forward,” while Lampkin was in the car and couldn’t see.

Garcia and the other person then went inside the apartment and looked for the unit Lampkin was staying in before they hid in a stairwell, the affidavit says.

As Franklin walked away from the complex, Lampkin entered the building and the affidavit says Garcia and the other person ran up behind him as he got off the elevator. A minute later, Garcia was seen running back to the stairwell with Lampkin’s backpack, which “was known to be full of money,” according to the affidavit.

Police wrote in the affidavit they saw several Instagram messages in which Franklin told Garcia that Lampkin was “intoxicated and unconscious” and Franklin needed Garcia to “rob us” because Lampkin had a lot of money. He assured Garcia that Lampkin was “friendly” and didn’t have a gun, the affidavit says.

Oklahoma Sooners defensive tackle Du’Vonta Lampkin (57) chased down TCU Horned Frogs quarterback Kenny Hill during the Big XII Championship game at AT&T Stadium in Arlington on Dec. 2, 2017. Lampkin was fatally shot in downtown Dallas last year. A suspect in the killing, Antwan Franklin, cut off his ankle monitor and has been on the lam for more than two months, according to court records.(Tom Fox / Staff Photographer)

Just after 2 a.m. May 5, Garcia sent Franklin a message to let him know he was waiting for Lampkin in the stairwell, to which Franklin replied, “Don’t do it til he at door,” the affidavit says.

Lampkin played in 15 games for the Oklahoma Sooners as a defensive tackle from 2015 to 2017. He signed with the Tennessee Titans as an undrafted free agent in 2018.

The use of ankle monitors has come under heightened scrutiny in Texas in the last year. On Sept. 1, new legislation went into effect that criminalizes tampering with ankle monitors. The law was spurred after people with ankle monitors were accused in multiple Dallas homicides.

The highest-profile case occurred in October when authorities say a parolee with an ankle monitor fatally shot two hospital workers at Methodist Dallas Medical Center. Nestor Hernandez had permission to be at the hospital for the birth of his child, but he had previously cut off his monitor after serving 80% of an eight-year prison sentence for aggravated robbery.

Two weeks after the hospital shooting, police said Zeric Jackson — a different parolee with an ankle monitor — fatally shot 39-year-old Brian Dillard in Lake Highlands. Shortly after, Bryce Jones was jailed after police said he cut off his ankle monitor while out on bond in a Dallas capital murder case and was missing for nearly two weeks.

Earlier this year, a man accused in the 2019 slaying of 9-year-old Brandoniya Bennett in Dallas disappeared after tampering with his ankle monitor, officials have said. Tyrese Simmons was set to stand trial in early June on a murder charge when he went on the lam. A Facebook account appearing to belong to him said he didn’t believe he’d get a fair trial.

He was apprehended in Tulsa after a standoff June 22. His new trial date hasn’t been set.