Rise and shine, Dallas! It’s Sunday, Aug. 1.
Today’s Headlines: Did you know that if your company doesn’t have a government contract with the state of Texas, your employer can require you to be vaccinated as a term of employment?
Meanwhile, you don’t have to anything but touch your steering wheel to know that Dallas is under what meteorologists call a “Heat Dome.” But there’s good news: a cool front, rain and dryer air are headed your way.
And we hit a nerve a few days ago in asking if the unvaccinated who are largely responsible for the surge in COVID-19 cases are victims or killers. If you haven’t seen it, it’s caused quite a stir.
Now, here’s your weather: Rain in the evening and overnight. High: 98 Low: 76.
Among the top stories in DFW today:
- Three people have been killed in a Dallas street racing crash, with two others listed in critical condition. (WFAA.com)
- The battle of the best new restaurants tops this week’s 5 hottest Dallas headlines! (CultureMap Dallas)
- Have a peek sneak peek inside this Dallas home from 1905 once used as a boarding house and bed-and-breakfast. (The Dallas Morning News)
- From the “Letters to the Editor” file: Three cheers for Dallas Aquatics, a Dallas Morning News column, and more. (The Dallas Morning News)
- Masks will now required in Dallas County courts starting Monday, according to the District Judge. (NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth)
Today in Dallas
Dallas Patch Notebook
- Dallas Cowboys: “Ready to get moving for #CowboysBackTogether! #CowboysCamp | #FootballisBack” (Instagram)
- Dallas Mavericks: “Brought the energy & left it all on the floor each night. Thank you, @jrich_0. #MFFL” (Instagram)
- Dallas Museum of Art: “As the games in Tokyo continue, take a moment to observe another game from history depicted through art.” (Instagram)
- DFW Airport: “Just reminiscing about when Irish eyes smiled upon us and Aer Lingus paid us a rare visit earlier this year.” (Facebook)
- SPCA of Texas: “Meet Karma! Karma’s a 15-year-old ball of personality – she loves to run around with her friends.” (Instagram)
- The Dallas Arboretum: “What’s in bloom this week? We’re showcasing lovely verbena, wishbone flower, Turk’s cap and ornamental millet!” (Instagram)
- Dallas Animal Services and Adoption Center: “Chico (#A0902519) is heading into this weekend like… He might be 6-years-old but not slowing down!” (Facebook)
- SPCA of Texas: ” Peachee Momma is our Sewell Automotive Companies Spotlight of the Month! She is the sweetest girl around.” (Facebook)
- Dallas Public Library: “Have you ever wanted to visit Peru but never had the time? Embark on a culinary tour with Taste of Peru in partnershi…” (Facebook)
- Dallas ISD: “Attend the We’re Ready Back-to-School Enrollment Fair next Saturday, Aug 7, and get help with enrolling your pre-K th…” (Instagram)
- Dallas Police Department: “Information sought regarding the Homicide at 7300 Elam Road.” (Facebook)
- Dallas ISD: “Attend the “We’re Ready Back-to-School Enrollment Fair” next Saturday, Aug 7, and get help with enrolling your kids.” (Facebook)
- Dallas Police Athletic/Activities League: “Super proud of our #PAL #boxers running in today’s 5th Annual #RunForTheBlue! They ran the entire 5k!” (Facebook)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Free Insta-Worthy 30 Min Photoshoots in North Dallas! (August 7)
You’re all caught up for today! I’ll see you around. If you’re feeling these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to follow along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Kevin Phinney
About me: Kevin Phinney has lived and worked as a writer and editor in Austin, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Seattle and New York City. He was born in Brooklyn, New York and was raised in El Paso. Phinney attended college in Austin. He has done television work as a reporter and commentator, and is a former host of a weekday drive-time radio show called “Kevin & Kevin in the Morning” on KGSR-FM (now known as Austin City Limits Radio). He is also the author of “Souled American, ” a book tracking race relations in America through music. It was published by BILLBOARD Books, and is often used in college classrooms across the country.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Dallas Daily? I’m all ears. You can reach me at email@example.com.